Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Mortal Kombat: Legacy "Episode 3" -- Review

Ah, We meet again my fine internet friends. Thanks for coming over to the site, it is much appreciated. As I said In my post on Easter Sunday, I was kinda swamped last week. So I never got around to reviewing Episode 2 of "Mortal Kombat: Legacy". Although I did plan to, it just didn't happen. So what I'm going to do, is give you a two-for in this post. I'm gonna tell you how I feel about Episodes 2&3 and link you to both in case you missed em'.

EPISODE 2: Assuming you've already seen this, There will be SPOILERS. Well, this episode was definitely a good one. This is the episode 'everyone' wanted the first time around, I felt like where this episode ended could of been all in episode 1. That's really my only complaint, but I do like the pacing of the show so far. So the complaint isn't really that big of a deal.

Basically we get two action scenes, and a tad bit more of where the story is going. We see Sonya Blade do work on multiple enemies and the fight between Kano and Jax fishes off the episode. So far we have a common theme of cliffhanger endings in this show. The cliffhanger ending in episode 2 has to do with Kano's eye, and it made me hate that I have to wait a week to see what happens next. Needless to say it's epic.

If you have not seen episode 2 here it is in all it's glory.





EPISODE 3: Assuming you have not seen this, since it came out today, I will do my best to stay spoiler free. Ok, Now we are getting somewhere. As a film major I'm a huge fan of backstory and character development, and that was one thing the MK series always lacked. Sure, there was backstories to every character in the game. Unfortunately you only got 2 paragraphs and sometimes it was pretty hard to follow. So I like where they are going with the 'new' backstories of the characters.

This episode jumps from Jax, Kano, and Sonya to introduce a new character to the show, Johnny Cage. The episode starts off with Victor Lucas (The only reason I know his name is from G4 Electric Playground and Judgement Day. Both Great Shows and it was cool to see him still doing things). doing a 'E! True Hollywood Story' type of segment on the life of Johnny Cage. We learn that he had a Rise and Fall type of career and has been out of work since "Power Rangers" went off the air.

He is doing his best to try to get back on TV. To do this, he is showing the hollywood producers a demo reel of his new show that he wants produced. It's a "Dog The Bounty Hunter" kind of show but with Martial arts. The hollywood big shots shoot him down and let him go from the company. I'll leave the synopsis at that. I don't wanna ruin the cliffhanger ending, but just know this. It's finally getting to something good. Just trust the writing staff, this build up is going to be worth it, I can feel it.

Johnny Cage is played by Matt Mullins who is perfect for the part. He is a very skilled martial artist from what was portrayed in this episode. Also he looks the part, from the sunglasses and the hair to the spin kicks and split ball punching. They did a really good job forming the character that everyone knows from the MK series.

One of the main things that you will notice this episode, is that it is edited. The audio cuts out every time someone curses. This sort of thing shouldn't bother me, but it did. I gave it so much props early on in the first episode that they were using curse words. Not that cursing makes a show better, but I think it stays true to the situation. A washed up actor getting fired, is definitely going to drop a F bomb or two.

At the end of the episode there is a note, saying a uncensored version will be released Friday. So, who knows what their thought process behind that is. Perhaps, they are trying to get a younger audience, Or maybe they got complaints. I personally think the Unedited version should come out first and the edited version on Friday.

Either way, edited or not, I'm hooked. I can't wait till next weeks episode and see where the story goes from here.

Here is Episode 3, ENJOY!







Leave a comment and tell me what you think of the episode and if you like the series or not as a whole. I'm always up for debates and conversations through the comment section. Also tell your friends about us, It's much appreciated.

-Magic

2 comments:

  1. Nice review, I haven't seen any of them yet though I think I might give it a look now.
    The cursing comment you made though, is it excessive cursing or just well placed curse words? I think there is a good difference between a show/movie that does well with curse words, and then those that use it every five minutes for shock factor or poor writing. So which one is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's well placed curse words, There are only like 3 in total. In the first episode, the cop looks at the camera and says "Fuck It" and it hits hard. The writing is great and the choreography in the fight scenes are really well done.

    You totally need to watch em bro, you'll dig it.

    ReplyDelete